Mary Elizabeth Sperry, Associate Director for Utilization of the New American Bible for the USCCB offers ten tips for reading the Bible.
1) Bible reading is for Catholics.
2) Prayer is the beginning and the end.
3) Get the whole story! When selecting a Bible, look for a Catholic edition.
4) The Bible isn't a book. It's a library.
5) Know what the Bible is - and what it isn't.
6) The sum is greater than the parts.
7) The Old relates to the New.
8) You do not read alone.
9) What is God saying to me?
10) Reading isn't enough.